Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I Love Writing, But I'm Not In Love With Writing

Yes, you heard that correctly. Writing and I have reached the point where we are definitely an old married couple without a lot of lust involved. Has this happened to you? Perhaps you loved writing, thought about it all the time, couldn't do without it -- but now, your goal is to have an extended vacation away from it?

I say these things because they're stereotypes about married couples -- my husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary next month and we aren't bored with one another. In fact, I hate being away from him even for a few days (I know -- glurge!) Perhaps we're even overly involved with one another. (Although studies say no...)

But writing and I, we have a very different kind of relationship. It's how I make a living, so I don't treat it as something special and capable of capturing my innermost thoughts. Maybe one day I'll see that I can do both and appreciate it more. Until then, I can't say I'm in love with it.

No comments: